Australian Telecoms Infrastructure Intelligence
Please Note: This page is for Archive Purposes Only – Last Updated in 2016 due to our focus on Emerging Technologies
Why should telecommunications infrastructure investment be a stab in the dark?
Market Clarity can help.
Carriers looking to invest in new telecommunications infrastructure — or investors assessing carriers’ investment plans — need more than guesswork to assess potential markets. They need facts.
Market Clarity has complied Australia’s most extensive independent database of telecommunications infrastructure. We are able to identify both access networks and backhaul networks down to exchange service areas (ESAs), and in many cases precise street level.
Market Clarity’s comprehensive database of telecommunications infrastructure tracks information from close to 200 infrastructure owners:
- DSLAM Locations (5,141 DSLAMs) — 15 Owners
- Fibre Network Points of Presence (7,366 POPs) — 31 Owners
- Fixed Wireless Broadband Base Stations (2,175 base stations) — 72 Owners
- Cellular (Mobile) Networks (over 22,300 2G, 3G and 4G base stations, at 15,000+ sites) — 3 Owners
- Long-haul Microwave (over 8,500 base stations) — 20 Owners
- Wireless Hotspots (over 2,200 base stations) — 27 Owners
- Academic Networks (over 200 POP locations) — 6 Owners
- Data Centres (over 600 data centre locations) — 141 Owners
- Internet Peering Points (326 peering point locations) — 23 Owners
- Fibre-to-the-Node Networks (over 100 Node locations) — 1 Carrier
- Fibre-to-the-Home Networks (200 FTTH developments) — 9 Carriers
- Broadcast Tower sites — 2,340 Locations
- National Broadband Network (NBN) — rollout maps and POIs
- Regional Backhaul Blackspots Network — 82 locations
Market Clarity offers extensive GIS-based mapping capabilities to its Telecommunications Business Intelligence Service including off-the-shelf or customised telecom infrastructure maps.
Market Clarity provides both geographical maps (showing infrastructure location and links) and thematic maps (showing analytical data such as the concentration of infrastructure as illustrated above), down to postcode level. Click here for more information on the readily available or customised infrastructure map list.
Electricity, Road, Rail and Civil Infrastructure GIS Information
Market Clarity holds substantial GIS-based information on Australia’s electricity, road, rail and other key civil infrastructure, which can be mapped against telecommunications infrastructure, client locations, client GIS or graphic files, as well as consumer and business demographics.
Health, Education, Government, Commercial and Retail Site Locations
Market Clarity has complied geo-coded databases covering site locations for health care facilities (public and private), health and fitness centres, education (primary schools, secondary schools, TAFE and vocational institutes, and universities), police and railway stations, State and Federal government sites, as well as popular beaches, parks and gardens, sports grounds and many golf courses.
We also have access to a range of additional retail sites, including shopping centres, major department stores, and a selection of banks, book and video stores, convenience stores, fast food outlets, petrol stations, car parking stations and many others.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) Data Available for Cross-Correlation
Market Clarity is also able to correlate its Telecommunications Infrastructure Database information with a wide range of population (Census) and business data from the Australian Bureau of Statistics — giving infrastructure investors a unique opportunity to assess markets before they plan their investments.
Geospatial Analysis and Mapping
Market Clarity’s GIS system and databases are designed in a manner that supports the rapid analysis of client infrastructure plans, as well as network rollout cost analysis. Market Clarity has also developed sophisticated radio transmission analysis techniques.
As a result, Market Clarity is able to map infrastructure presence against geographic and demographic data, providing information such as:
- Telstra Exchange Service Areas (ESAs) and Distribution Areas (DAs) sourced from MapInfo’s ExchangeInfo GIS dataset
- The number of infrastructure owners in a region
- The types of infrastructure in a region
- Radiofrequency usage in a region
- Correlation between backhaul and access networks
- The relationship between infrastructure and population
- The relationship between infrastructure and health, education and government site locations
- The relationship between infrastructure and key business verticals
- The correlation of telecommunications technology coverage (technical and infrastructure characteristics) to other infrastructure and demographics
- The correlation between infrastructure owners and retail channels (such as telcos, ISPs and voice service providers)
- The relationship between infrastructure and customised criteria
Both geospatial and analytical maps available, as well as client specified reporting.
Market Clarity’s NBN (National Broadband Network) research products, also include our GIS analysis capabilities.Contact Market Clarity for additional information.